3.19.2009

Are we ghosts?


Architects are trained to keep sketchbooks.  I say 'keep' to express the recording of thoughts and ideas, drawings of new projects or the visual world around us.  I have many sketchbooks from my earliest years of a student to my travels through Asia and Europe and more documenting a stream of consciousness throughout the years of my professional practice.  Very rarely will I past something into a sketchbook.
The last time I did so was after reading an article from another architect written about her experiences on September 11.  She vividly described a chronology and landscape in which the collapsing towers were just a part.  It was an incredibly surreal depiction.
I was moved again recently to print and paste another article.  You've probably heard this story already; famous (or should I say 'best in the world') virtuoso plays Strada violin (3.5million) in D.C. Subway.  You can read the article here OR ask me to read it from my sketchbook the next time you see me.